Mean, Terrible, Awful. Mom.

Friday, March 25, 2005

Ah, eggs!

We're not a religious people, we don't really practice one way or another, but something about holidays has a strong hold on me. When LF was small, I was so sure I was just going to eliminate the holidays I felt were unnecessary. It didn't last, because LF has an Auntie who loves him dearly and would not allow me to deny him the joys of candy related holidays. When I married Skabby, he decided to take it upon himself to insure that LF got to observe every major holiday that he grew up with. I eventually gave in, and this year we are doing our first ever egg hunt with actual eggs. I was so excited about coloring eggs that we did it on Tuesday. He was just tickled that the eggs came out of the dyes a different color, while I focused on making neat stripes and such with the dyes. I'm really a kid when you get down to it. Last weekend we stuffed the plastic eggs with candy and money, and three weeks ago I put together his Easter bucket. As much as I fought these holidays, they really are a lot of fun. I've always been gung-ho about Christmas, but to me everything else lost its magic a long time ago. Now that I do see what he was missing, I try to show him the best parts of all the various holiday's, while trying to teach him that the whole point of celebrating these things isn't about faith, it's about spending time together and having a good time. My family crumbled a few years ago, and gone are all the traditions we had in my youth, but today I am making my own and hopefully LF will remember them as fondly as I do.

2 Comments:

  • Hi. Surfing thru by way of ZeroBoss. Nice place you have here. (ps I'm a fellow NY'er)

    By Blogger scrappintwinmom, at 12:07 AM  

  • nice to meet ya! I'm a huge fan of ZeroBoss, and I'm glad ya stopped by!

    By Blogger Mean One, at 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment



<< Home